Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Karma Chef Spice Secrets#5: Jyo’s Spice


Jyotsna was my first Indian friend. I was taking a little walk down my street in the old neighborhood when this pretty Indian girl with a baby on her hip called out to me ”Hi, want to come in and have some tea?” That was music to my ears. Nobody invites a stranger home to tea in America and I was reminded of the warmth of our Indian hospitality. This is Jyo’s extraordinary spice mix for Garbanzo Beans. I make it and keep it bottled. Stays up to 2 months. I use it for lots of other recipes as well.

Coriander – 3 tbsp
Cloves – 4
Cinnamon – 1 stick
Fennel – 1 tbsp
Cumin – 2 tbsp
Black Pepper Corns- 1tbsp
Dried Red Chilies – 3
Turmeric – ½ tsp
Coconut – 6 tbsp
Asafetida (hing) – ¼ tsp

Roast all the above spices in a skillet/heavy-bottomed pan. Grind to powder and store in airtight container.

JYO’S CHANNA MASALA (SPICED GARBANZO BEANS)

Grabanzo Beans – 2 cans
Jyo’s Spice – 1 ½ tbsp (more or less – please adjust to taste)
Diced Tomatoes (pureed) – 1 can
1 tsp tamarind paste
1 tbsp brown sugar
Salt & Chilli powder to taste.

Drain & Rinse 2 cans of garbanzo beans boil in pot over medium heat with 3 cups water and Jyo’s Spice, 1 can of tomatoes, 1 tsp tamarind paste and 1 tbsp brown sugar and salt to taste. Apologies....my spicing is all approximate (by gosh and by golly, as Anitra would say) please adjust as you go along – boil for about 45 minutes or so, add water if necessary – consistency should be runny, but not too runny. Garnish with cilantro. Very yum with tortillas or rice.

No comments: