Thursday, April 30, 2009
Fish Molee (Kerela-style fish stew)
Fish Molee, sometimes pronounced “moilee” is a delicately flavored fish stew from Kerala - the famous Spice Coast of India. It uses all fresh local ingredients including fish, coconut and whole spices like cardamoms, cloves, and peppercorn. Totally delicious!
Prep Checklist (top photo) :start at ’12 O’clock and go clockwise
Onion, Tomato Cillantro, Ginger/Garlic, Whole Garam Masala, Green Chilli/Curry Leaves.
Center: KarmaChef Molee Spice
KarmaChef spices: Tumeric, Molee Spice, Indian Chilli Powder
*Fish Fillets – 1.5 lbs (cubed)
Any white fish. I have used Chilean Sea Bass from Costco
Tumeric – ½ tsp
Salt- ½ tsp
Ingredients & Spices
*Onion – 1 cup (finely chopped)
*Tomato – 1 (grated/pureed)
*Garlic – 4 cloves (crushed with mortar/pestle)
*Ginger – 1” (crushed – same as above)
*Green Chilli – 3 (slit length-wise)
Curry Leaves (optional) – 6-8
Karma Chef Moulee Spice - 3 tsp
Whole Garam Masala – (1 bayleaf, 3 cloves, 2 cardamons, one stick cinnamon, 6-8 peppercorns
Coconut milk (not the light variety please!) – 1 can (separate 1/3rd from this – keep aside. Dilute the rest with 1 can water)
* Indicates prep items
1. Marinate Fish in tumeric, salt and lime juice – set aside for 15 mins
2. Prep all above marked with *
3. Heat 3 tablespoons of ghee in heavy-bottom pan till smoking.
4. Add whole Garam Masala – wait till cinnamon stick begins to uncurl.
5. Add onion, green chilli, curry leaf, ginger & garlic – cook for approx 2 minutes or till nicely brown.
6. Add Molee spice & tomato puree – cook till oil begin to separate from spice
7. Add diluted coconut milk– cover and cook - reduce to half
8. Adjust Salt/sugar/chilli to taste - taste should be sweet/sour/spicy
9. Gently put in fish cubes – bring to boil – cook approx 5 minutes
10. Add thick coconut milk – cook another 3 minutes
11. Garnish with tomato, cilantro and wedge of lime
Serve with Dill Rice, Pappadum and Chutneys